Toasted Kale and Chicken Salad with Lemon Dijon Dressing
A fast and healthy toasted kale salad recipe! Tender kale is tossed in light lemon Dijon dressing and topped with homemade whole grain croutons. Since Kale is a hearty lettuce you can make a batch of this and use it for lunch for the week even with the dressing already tossed in. This will keep in the refrigerator for 3 -4 days.
Yields: 4 servings
Beachbody Container Equivalents: (per serving): 2 green, ½ yellow, 1 red, ½ orange, ½ tsp.
- 2 slices sprouted whole-grain bread (like Ezekiel), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt), divided use
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 (4-oz.) raw chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 bunches kale, ribs removed and torn into large pieces (approx. 4 cups)
- 4 Tbsp. Lemon Dijon Salad Dressing (see recipe below)
- Finely chopped lemon peel (lemon zest) (for garnish; optional)
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Lightly coat bread with spray and sprinkle with 1 pinch salt and pepper.
- Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until croutons are toasted and crunchy. Set aside.
- Sprinkle chicken on each side evenly with remaining salt and chili powder. Set aside.
- Heat large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken; cook, for 6 to 8 minutes on each side, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle, and is blackened on the outside. Remove chicken from pan. Keep warm.
- Lightly coat kale with spray, add to skillet; cook over high heat, for 4 to 5 minutes, turning once, until kale is crispy and lightly charred.
- Toss toasted Kale in a bowl.
- Slice chicken into strips, top kale with chicken and croutons.
- Drizzle each serving with Lemon Dijon Salad Dressing.
- Top with lemon peel, if desired.
Lemon Dijon Dressing
Yields: 6 (2 Tbsp. each)
- 1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard, gluten-free
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 2 tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1½ tsp. finely grated lemon peel (lemon zest)
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Place yogurt, mustard, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and lemon peel in a medium bowl, whisk until smooth.
- Slowly add oil, whisking continuously until well blended.