Crustless Tomato Pie is a delicious and beautiful low-carb side dish that is perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner. Inspired by Biscuits and Burlap
Yields: 8 servings
- 4 tomatoes sliced about 1/3″ thick. (Heirloom, Better Boys or any in-season tomato)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons fresh oregano chopped
- 6-7 leaves basil chopped (or 2 tbsp. dried basil)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded, plus extra for sprinkling over top (Parmesan is excellent as well)
- 2 eggs beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a pie plate with cooking spray and set aside.
- Slice tomatoes and lay sliced on plates. Sprinkle lightly with salt and let sit at least 20 minutes so they can sweat.
- Melt butter in small skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute’ until onions are soft (about 8 minutes). Transfer to a medium-sized bowl.
- Add cheese, eggs, herbs, and pepper to onion mixture. Stir to combine.
- Drain water off the plates of tomatoes. With a paper towel, gently blot tomatoes to soak up excess moisture.
- Arrange tomatoes in a single layer in pie pan. Top with about 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture. Repeat until all ingredients have been used, finishing with a layer of tomatoes. Top this layer with a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.
- Allow to sit 5-7 minutes before serving.