Freezer to Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup
This Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup might just be the best tomato soup you’ve ever had! It’s so easy to make, perfectly flavorful, and it’s nice and hearty.
Yield: About 8 servings
- 1 3/4 cup diced carrots (3 medium)
- 1 3/4 cup diced yellow onion (1 large)
- 2 Tbls. olive oil
- 3 Tbls. minced garlic
- 3 (28 oz) cans whole Roma tomatoes
- 1 (32 oz) carton vegetable broth
- 3 Tbls. dried Basil or ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 16 oz refrigerated or frozen three cheese tortellini
- Parmesan, shredded, for serving
1. Label your freezer bag with the name of the meal and cooking instructions.
2. Place tortellini Ziploc bag and seal.
3. Add all remaining ingredients in another freezer bag. Place Tortellini Freezer bag inside the vegetable Freezer bag
4. Remove as much air as possible, seal and lay flat in the Freezer.
1. The night before cooking, move frozen bag to your refrigerator to thaw
2. The morning of cooking, pour contents into crock-pot.
3. Cook on “low” setting for 6-7 hours. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Puree mixture with an emulsion blender (or carefully in small batches in a blender. If your slow cooker doesn’t keep all the moisture in well while cooking, you may need to add in 1/2 cup water or so at this point so the soup isn’t too thick).
5. Stir in tortellini, cover and cook on HIGH heat 15 minutes longer (or until heated through).
Serve topped with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.