Slow Cooker Turkey Meatballs – 21 Day Fix Approved
Throw all the ingredients for these turkey meatballs into a slow cooker in the morning, set the timer, and indulge in a warm, hearty meal that night.
Yields: 6 servings, 3 meatballs each
- 1 lb. raw 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp. sea salt or Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup whole-grain panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs)
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (28-oz.) can tomato or pasta sauce
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
Combine turkey, 1 tsp. salt, pepper, egg, breadcrumbs, garlic, parsley, and cheese in a large bowl; mix well with clean hands.
Roll mixture into eighteen 1½-inch meatballs. Set aside.
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add half of the meatballs; cook, turning occasionally, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until meatballs are browned on each side. Place browned meatballs in a 3-quart slow cooker.
Repeat with the remaining meatballs.
Top meatballs with pasta sauce and cook, covered, on low temperature for 5 to 6 hours, stirring once or twice.
To make this recipe in an Instant Pot (programmable pressure cooker), follow these instructions:
- Turn 6-quart Instant Pot to high sauté setting.
- Heat oil to hot.
- Add meatballs; cook, turning occasionally, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until meatballs are browned.
- Add tomato sauce. Follow manufacturer’s guidelines for locking lid and preparing to cook. Set to pressure cook on high for 8 minutes.
- Follow the manufacturer’s guide for quick release, and wait until the cycle is complete. Carefully unlock and remove lid, taking care that there is no remaining steam.
- Serve immediately.