Turkey Sausage & Spinach Pasta
The hearty dish is an unforgettable combination of pasta, sausage and vegetables.
Yields: 6 servings
- 12 ounces whole-wheat short pasta, such as shells or twists
- 8 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage links, removed from casings or cut on the on a diagonal
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes (any other vegetable can be substituted)
- ½ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more to taste
- 2 tsp. basil
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 9 to 11 minutes, or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, onion, spinach and tomatoes. Cook, stirring often, until the greens wilt and the tomatoes begin to break down, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; cover and keep warm.
- Combine ½ cup cheese, basil, oregano, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Measure out ½ cup of the cooking liquid; drain the pasta. Whisk the cooking liquid and oil into the cheese mixture; add the pasta and toss to combine. Serve the pasta topped with the sausage mixture and an extra sprinkle of cheese, if desired.