Tuscan Sausage, Mushroom and Sun-dried Tomato Skillet
Who doesn’t love a one pot dinner? Perfect for quick, easy, weeknight dinners, skillet meals can be made in about 15 minutes. You can follow this recipe as written, or use whatever veggies, in whatever quantities, you have on hand. Get creative with this one! Whatever combinations you choose, this low carb, healthy and tasty turkey skillet dish is well balanced with protein, lots of veggies and flavored with Italian seasoning for a healthy, flavorful and satisfying meal!
Yields: 6 Servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 lbs 93% lean ground turkey (or ground chicken or ground turkey sausage)
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 1/2 tsp. ground paprika
- 3/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 6 cups quartered mushrooms
- 1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans,(white beans) drained and rinsed
- 8 oz. sliced sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can quartered artichokes, drained and chopped
- 1 cup sliced, pitted kalamata olives
- 3 cups baby spinach or kale (stems removed from kale) torn into bite size pieces.
- 1/2 cup chicken broth mixed with 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in large sauté pan. Add onion and sauté until it begins to soften.
- Add ground turkey, garlic, paprika, water, pepper, fennel, oregano, basil, cayenne pepper and 1 tsp salt. Saute until turkey is crumbly.
- Add mushrooms; cook stirring frequently, for 3 minutes, or until juices are released and reduced in size.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add beans, sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes, olives, spinach or kale, broth mixture, a dash of salt and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Top with cheese and serve!
- Serve over zucchini noodles, whole wheat pasta, cauliflower rice, or quinoa if desired.