Ultimate Statement Salad On A Board
Inspired by the trendy Charcuterie Boards, this salad turns a snack board into a dinner board complete with a homemade Thousand Island dressing—and feeds a crowd. (Courtesy of Rachel Ray)
Yields: 8 servings
For the Thousand Island dressing:
- 1½ cups Plain Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider or white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp each of dried chives, dill, parsley
- 1 tsp. Salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper
For the pickled onions:
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper, to taste
For the salad:
- 12 slices meaty smoky bacon
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, homemade or store-bought
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced on bias
- ¾ to 1 pound sliced roast turkey
- ¾ to 1 pound sliced rare roast beef
- ¾ to 1 pound sliced mild/cooked ham or Prosciutto
- ½ to ¾ pound Swiss Cheese
- ½ to ¾ pound provolone cheese
- 2 heads of iceberg lettuce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1½ cups semi-dried tomatoes, drained, or chopped beefsteak tomatoes
- 1½ cups smoked blue cheese or feta cheese, crumbled
- 1½ cups drained and coarsely chopped giardiniera
- Mix all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- For the pickled onions, combine onions, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Set aside or make the night before.
- For the salad, preheat oven to 400˚F, bake bacon on a slotted pan and bake to very crisp, remove, drain and cool to handle, then coarsely chop.
- Quarter the hard-boiled eggs lengthwise. In a bowl, combine with scallions.
- Halve the meats and cut into ¾- to 1-inch strips. Slice cheese to match strips in similar size and shape to the meats.
- Core the iceberg lettuce by cutting in half, cut off the end. Cut the halves in half again lengthwise. Slice to remove the yellow core of each quarter then slice the lettuce heads bit size pieces. Arrange the lettuce on a large cutting board or platter (3 feet long is recommended).
- Season with salt and pepper and spoon dressing evenly over.
- Then arrange in stripes across the bed of lettuce: bacon, turkey, tomatoes, Swiss, ham, eggs and scallions, blue cheese, beef, provolone, and giardiniera.
- Top salad with pickled onions and serve.