Slow Cooker or Instant Pot Vegetable Stew – 21 Day Fix Approved
This vegan Slow Cooker Vegetable Stew is packed with chickpeas, cauliflower, spinach, and other yummy veggies.
Container Equivalents: 2 Green, 1½ Yellow, ½ Blue, ½ tsp.
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 2 15-oz. cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup or honey
- 1 Tbsp. powdered ginger
- ½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 dash ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 (10-oz.) bag raw baby spinach
- 1 cup lite coconut milk
Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over high heat.
Add onion and bell peppers; cook, frequently stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
Add garlic; cook, frequently stirring, for 1 minute.
Place onion mixture in 3-quart slow cooker.
Add broth, tomatoes (with juice), chickpeas, curry powder, maple syrup, ginger, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Mix well; cover. Cook on high for 3 hours.
Add cauliflower. Mix well; cover. Cook on high for 1 hour.
Add spinach and coconut milk. Mix well; cover. Cook on high for 10 minutes, or until spinach wilts.
To make this recipe in an Instant Pot (programmable pressure cooker), follow these instructions:
- Turn 6-quart Instant Pot to high sauté setting.
- Heat oil to hot.
- Add onion and bell peppers; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes, chickpeas, curry powder, maple syrup, ginger, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper (if desired), and cauliflower. Follow manufacturer’s guidelines for locking lid and preparing to cook. Set to pressure cook on high for 12 minutes.
- Follow manufacturer’s guide for natural release, and wait until cycle is complete. Carefully unlock and remove lid, taking care that there is no remaining steam.
- Add spinach and coconut milk; mix well. Cover and wait for spinach to wilt, approximately 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.