Vegetarian Black Bean Lettuce Wraps
The cool crunch of the lettuce and the warmth of the rice and beans make these lettuce wraps a worthy alternative to Chipotle any day of the week. Add corn salsa for an extra kick of spice and go for Bibb lettuce over iceberg to kick up the nutrients. These are awesome to prep on Sunday in separate containers for the bib lettuce and the toppings.
Yields: 4 lettuce wraps
- ¾ cup jasmine rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons tomato salsa
- Juice of a lime
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Bibb lettuce leaves (or iceberg)
- 1 cup corn salsa
- ½ cup guacamole (or 1 avocado)
- Prepare the jasmine rice according to package directions (bring rice and water to a boil, stir, then cover and reduce heat to low for 20 minutes. Remove from heat for 5 minutes).
- Open the can of black beans and pour into a colander – rinse and drain. Add beans to a small pot over low heat and add the tomato salsa. Stir to combine. Heat through, stirring occasionally (about 8-10 minutes).
- Chop the fresh cilantro leaves. Reserve a few pinches for garnish (if desired), then add the cilantro to the cooked rice along with the lime juice. Stir to combine.
- To put a wrap together: begin with a Bibb lettuce leaf Add a scoop of cilantro lime rice, followed by a scoop of the black beans, and corn salsa. Sprinkle with reserved cilantro leaves, sliced avocado, or guacamole. Fold into a taco-like shape and take a bite – enjoy!