Vegetarian Lentil Tortilla Soup – Stove Top, Slow Cooker or Instant Pot
This easy recipe yields 6 cups of deliciousness. That’s enough for 6 side-dish sized servings or 3 big bowls! Pair it a fresh salad and it won’t disappoint.
Meal prepping? Make it in advance and enjoy for lunches or dinners all week long! It’s FABULOUS the next day and oh so flavorful!
Yields: 6 cups of soup.
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 2.5 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 can (14-15 oz) tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup salsa verde (green salsa)
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained + rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained + rinsed
- 1 cup corn (fresh, canned, or frozen)
- 3/4 cup dried red lentils
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4-1/2 cup plain Greek Yogurt
- salt and pepper to taste
For a thicker soup, feel free to add some corn tortillas (torn into pieces) to the soup or simply swirl crushed tortilla chips into the soup after serving!
Pile on the toppings!
- crushed tortilla chips – my favorite!
- shredded cheddar or mex-blend cheese
- sliced or diced jalapeños
- chopped red onion
- fresh pico de gallo or salsa
- sliced avocado
- fresh cilantro
- sour cream or greek yogurt
Directions for the Instant Pot:
- First, chop your veggies and measure out the ingredients.
- Next add everything but the Greek Yogurt and toppings to the Instant Pot
- Set the Instant Pot to high pressure for 15 minutes. Walk away; FREEDOM!
- Allow natural pressure release.
- Stir in the Greek Yogurt, add all your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
Directions for the Slow Cooker:
- First chop your veggies and measure out the ingredients. This will make everything super easy to toss together!
- Next add everything except the Greek Yogurt and toppings.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 7-8 hours, until dried lentils are cooked through and veggies are tender. My soup was perfect after 5 hours on high.
- Swirl in the Greek Yogurt, add all your favorite toppings, and dive in!
Directions for the Stove Top:
- Bring a stock large pot to medium heat and add a drizzle of your favorite cooking oil.
- Sauté your onion until edges are golden, then add your bell pepper, jalapeño, and corn. Cook until peppers are tender, approx. 5 minutes.
- Next add veggie broth, tomato sauce, salsa verde, beans, and spices; stir to mix.
- Let mixture come to a boil and add your dried lentils.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 25-30 minutes.
- The longer you let it cook the more pronounced the flavor will be.
- Feel free to cook a little longer if time permits, up to you!
- Lastly swirl in your Greek Yogurt.
- Enjoy & pile on the toppings, and face-plant into this tasty vegetarian lentil tortilla soup!