Russet or Sweet Potatoes – Baked, Slow Cooked or Instant Pot
Cooking White, Russet or sweet potatoes in an Instant Pot, Slow Cooker or Oven makes meal prep so quick and easy! Perfect for enjoying as a side dish or for using in a casserole or main entree! Potatoes are perfect for weeknight dinners or to feed a crowd.
Slow Cooker Potatoes
Yields: 4–6 servings
- 4–6 russet baking potatoes or sweet potatoes
- 2–3 teaspoons olive oil (1/2 teaspoon per potato)
- 1–1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (1/4 teaspoon per potato)
- Aluminum foil
- Toppings: Freshly grated Cheese (I used extra-sharp cheddar), chopped chives, crumbled bacon; Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Scrub the potatoes and dry completely. For each potato: tear off a piece of aluminum foil large enough to wrap around the potato completely. Prick the potato all over with a fork, then place in the center of the foil. Drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Rub the salt and oil over the surface of the potato, then wrap tightly with the foil sheet. Place in your slow cooker.
- Cook the potatoes on high for 4 to 5 hours or low for 8 to 10 hours, until soft. Do not over cook, or the potatoes may become soggy. Remove and carefully unwrap (the potatoes will be hot). Split and top with cheese, chives, bacon, and Greek yogurt as desired.
Instant Pot Potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 4 -6 medium russet or sweet potatoes
Instant Pot Directions:
- Place steamer basket or trivet in Instant Pot and add 1 cup water.
- Scrub sweet potatoes until skins are clean. Place on top of the steamer basket.
- Cover and place vent on lid to “Sealed”.
- Set on “Steam” program and set time for 10 minutes.
- When finished cooking, don’t open lid. Allow pressure to reduce naturally, about 25 minutes.
- Remove lid and serve.
Oven Baked Potatoes
- 4 large Russet or Sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix oil and salt in a small bowl
- Wash and dry the potatoes.
- Pierce the potato 2-3 times with a fork.
- Rub oil and salt mixture all over potatoes
- Wrap each potato with foil
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes.
- The exact baking time will depend on how large the potatoes are.
- The potato should be tender inside if you poke a fork into it.